Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tyrone Wells


Either the meeting ended late or the show started early. Either way, I was late. My first meeting with a new company was just released and this was to be my first blog review of a show. It’d be a little difficult to do so if I completely missed it.
                I went to this show knowing absolutely nothing about the performer, and I felt pretty bad about it. When I finally arrived at the venue it was the wrong entrance (of course) but as I hoofed it to the other door I could hear a soothing melody emanating from the building. There was another delay when they didn’t know which wristband to give me (typical), but I could hear the music much clearer now. It was a cover of Bob Marley’s “No Woman No Cry”! I eased my tense shoulders and knew this would be a good show (even though I wasn’t sure if this was an opening act or not…it wasn’t).
                I found my seat as Tyrone started talking to the audience. Turns out this is only the second date on the tour. Clearly he didn’t take himself too seriously because he told us that at the awkward age of thirteen his father taught him how to yodel and from that point on he considered himself a “closet yodeler” (a pretty good one, too).
                With his music relying mostly on just an acoustic guitar and his soft voice it’s hard to categorize him. He seems like the kind of guy that you could listen to with your friends around a camp fire or while having  coffee with your grandmother. His lyrics are delicate but the reggae under tone doesn’t leave it too soft or boring.
                The crowd cheers as he tells us he’s a new father. His daughter, Aria, was born just last month. He tells us that he and his band don’t take themselves too seriously (obviously) so they were going to play some songs from the eighties. He encouraged us to sing along. And, I must say, I was very impressed with his rendition of Paula Abdul’s “Straight Up”.
                He surprised me by bringing up problems in society, mainly, the importance of women needing to look a certain way. He has a positive outlook on staying grounded and close to his fans. After the show he gave away posters. All in all it was a great atmosphere and very laid back show.

No comments:

Post a Comment