Friday, April 6, 2012

Trip Taylor Bookseller Poetry Reading



   I guess I'll start with how I found out about this poetry reading. I had some extra cash in my pocket (bad news) and needed to find a new book (worse news). I remember walking by an old used book store months before but couldn't remember exactly where. As I ordered a latte I asked the barista if she was familiar with it. Luckily, now, I had directions.
   The weather was nice, but not great, so I hurried along down town to my destination. And, hidden in between random shops was this almost invisible entrance to an almost invisible bookstore. Now, if you've never been to a used book store I highly recommend it. The first thing you notice how compact the store is. Tall shelves loom overhead and it's hard to understand the 'order' in which the books are arranged. And then the smell hits you. It's as if you have stumbled into a very old attic that hasn't had a visitor in years. I, personally, love this smell; it's comforting to me. And being surrounded by books is another favorite thing of mine. So I saunter slowly up and down the rows and am overjoyed when I realize there is an upstairs.
   It's not until I finally stop myself at three books that I head to the front desk. The woman there is lovely. We chatted for a bit, and when I told her of my passion for poetry, she told me about the poetry reading every first Thursday.


   I showed up with a friend a bit early and noticed that it was mostly older men, a couple middle aged. This should be interesting. I thought to myself. But it was! To warm up most of them read old poetry from famous poets. Some of their poems were fashioned in the styles of old poets. With topics ranging from depression in the rain to how the beautiful fragrance of just one flower and liven your room.
   I was kicking myself for not being prepared, for not bringing any poetry of my own to read. But it also felt like a privilege to be in this tightly knit group, even for just an hour, to hear their words. I know that I will most definitely be there next month, standing at the microphone reading my own work, and maybe even becoming friends with some of the other authors. This book store is amazing and I absolutely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment